WASHINGTON: The global swine flu death toll marched past 100 with four new fatalities reported in Mexico and one in the United States, the two
countries where the first outbreaks were reported.
Prior to the latest North American deaths, the World Health Organisation had reported the global toll at 95, with 13,398 people in 48 countries infected with the A(H1N1) virus since it was first uncovered last month.
Mexico's four fatalities increased the toll to 89 with 100 new infections, bringing the total to 4,821, the country's health ministry said yesterday.
In Chicago, a second swine flu death reported by officials in the midwestern US city brought the US toll to 15.
In addition, two more countries -- the Dominican Republic, in the Caribbean, and South America's Uruguay -- each reported their first two confirmed cases of swine flu, raising the number of countries with cases to 50.
On Tuesday, WHO interim Assistant Director General Keiji Fukuda said the outbreak was continuing to evolve.
"I think it's quite possible that it will continue to spread and it will establish itself in many other countries in multiple regions, at which time I think it would be fair to call it a pandemic at that point," Fukuda said.